Border crossings rose sharply in March after falling to historic low under Trump

Border crossings rose sharply in March after falling to historic low under Trump
© Getty Images

Border-crossing attempts from Mexico rose sharply last month after falling to a historic low last year under the Trump administration, according to numbers released the same week the White House announced plans to deploy the National Guard to the southern border. 

The latest numbers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection show a 37-percent increase in attempted crossings from February to March, and a 203 percent increase over March of last year, CNN first reported Thursday. 

Arrests at the border hit an all-time low last April, a phenomenon many top Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials dubbed the "Trump effect," over the president's tough stance on immigration, including increased deportation efforts. 

ADVERTISEMENT

President TrumpDonald John TrumpMnuchin knocks Greta Thunberg's activism: Study economics and then 'come back' to us The Hill's Morning Report - House prosecutes Trump as 'lawless,' 'corrupt' What to watch for on Day 3 of Senate impeachment trial MORE's order to deploy the National Guard was announced at the White House by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen NielsenKirstjen Michele NielsenActing DHS secretary says he expects Russia to attempt to interfere in 2020 elections House Homeland Security rip DHS's 'unacceptable' failure to comply with subpoena Trump puts Kushner in charge of overseeing border wall construction: report MORE on Wednesday.

"The threat is real," she said. "It's time to act." 

Despite the president's efforts to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, the new numbers rival those of the border crises of 2013 and 2014 under the Obama administration, when thousands were detained along the Mexican border. 

In a tweet on Thursday, Trump said his administration was responsible for the fact that "border crossings are at a still UNACCEPTABLE 46 year low. Stop drugs!"