Border crossings rose sharply in March after falling to historic low under Trump
Border-crossing attempts from Mexico rose sharply last month after falling to a historic low last year under the Trump administration, according to numbers released the same week the White House announced plans to deploy the National Guard to the southern border.
The latest numbers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection show a 37-percent increase in attempted crossings from February to March, and a 203 percent increase over March of last year, CNN first reported Thursday.
Arrests at the border hit an all-time low last April, a phenomenon many top Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials dubbed the “Trump effect,” over the president’s tough stance on immigration, including increased deportation efforts.
President Trump’s order to deploy the National Guard was announced at the White House by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen on Wednesday.
“The threat is real,” she said. “It’s time to act.”
Despite the president’s efforts to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, the new numbers rival those of the border crises of 2013 and 2014 under the Obama administration, when thousands were detained along the Mexican border.
In a tweet on Thursday, Trump said his administration was responsible for the fact that “border crossings are at a still UNACCEPTABLE 46 year low. Stop drugs!”
The Caravan is largely broken up thanks to the strong immigration laws of Mexico and their willingness to use them so as not to cause a giant scene at our Border. Because of the Trump Administrations actions, Border crossings are at a still UNACCEPTABLE 46 year low. Stop drugs!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 5, 2018