Administration

Third top national security aide to leave White House

Greg Nash

Deputy national security adviser Nadia Schadlow has resigned, as new national security adviser John Bolton seeks to reshape his team.

Schadlow is the third high-ranking national security official to exit or be pushed out of the White House since Bolton took over on Monday.

“The administration thanks Dr. Schadlow for her service and leadership,” said White House spokesman Raj Shah. “We wish Nadia and her family the best.”

{mosads}An administration official said that Schadlow will remain in her post until April 27 in order to assist with the transition to her successor.

Schadlow was a trusted confidante of Bolton’s predecessor, H.R. McMaster, and played a key role in crafting President Trump’s national security strategy, which was released last December.

“The strategy has set a strong foundation going forward for protecting the homeland, promoting American prosperity, preserving peace through strength and advancing American influence,” said Shah.

She was tapped in January to take over for Dina Powell, who decided last year to step down as deputy national security adviser for strategy.

National Security Council spokesman Michael Anton and homeland security adviser Tom Bossert are the other two officials who have left following Bolton’s start.

The hard-charging former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations is expected to make more staff changes on the National Security Council in the coming days and weeks.

Tags Donald Trump

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video