McCabe to sue Trump admin for defamation, wrongful termination
Former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe is planning to sue the Trump administration for defamation and wrongful termination, according to multiple media reports Friday.
McCabe’s lawyer Michael Bromwich told reporters that McCabe is also considering filing other civil claims.
He said the legal team hasn’t yet figured out when they’re going to file the lawsuits and is working on making them “solid.”
“We’ll file when we’re ready,” Bromwich said, according to Axios.
The attorney also announced the launch of a legal defense fund for McCabe, and hopes to transfer the money raised for McCabe’s legal costs through a crowdfunding campaign started after his March firing to the official fund.
Bromwich also accused opponents of McCabe, including President Trump, of “continuing slander.”
Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired McCabe last month after an inspector general report found he made an unauthorized disclosure to the media and was not forthcoming with federal investigators.
McCabe denied the allegations and said he was being targeted in an effort to undermine special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russia’s election interference.
Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz released the report last week of McCabe’s conduct at the FBI, alleging that he authorized a leak to the press to “advance his personal interests” and he misled investigators about the matter. Trump called the report a “disaster” for McCabe.