Trump: Reports that US-North Korea summit cannot happen June 12 are ‘WRONG’

Trump: Reports that US-North Korea summit cannot happen June 12 are ‘WRONG’
© Getty Images

President TrumpDonald John TrumpThorny part of obstruction of justice is proving intent, that's a job for Congress Obama condemns attacks in Sri Lanka as 'an attack on humanity' Schiff rips Conway's 'display of alternative facts' on Russian election interference MORE on Saturday said the notion that his North Korea summit cannot take place on the original date of June 12 is wrong, a comment that is at odds with a high-ranking member of his own administration.

Trump criticized The New York Times for a story quoting a "senior White House official” who said the meeting is highly unlikely to take place on June 12 because of the lack of time to plan the logistics and agenda following his decision to cancel it.

“WRONG AGAIN! Use real people, not phony sources,” Trump tweeted.

ADVERTISEMENT

In fact, a senior official did brief dozens of reporters in person at the White House on Thursday about the summit and said it would be almost impossible to pull off on June 12.

“The ball is in North Korea’s court right now. There’s really not a lot of time. We’ve lost quite a bit of time that we would need,” the official said.

To emphasize the point, the official said “June 12 is in 10 minutes.”

The briefing was given on condition of anonymity because the aide wanted to "let the president’s remarks stand,” referring to Trump’s comments about the summit’s cancellation.

Trump is eager to get the summit back on track, telling reporters on Friday that he and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un could still meet as previously planned.

He welcomed a statement from North Korea saying it was still willing to meet with the U.S. “any time, in any format, to resolve the problems.”

“It was a very nice statement they put out,” Trump said. “We’re talking to them now. They very much want to do it. We’d like to do it. We’ll see what happens.”

The president canceled the summit on Thursday over what he called “tremendous anger and open hostility” from North Korea. His decision came after North Korea criticized Vice President Pence for saying the country would end up like Libya if it did not reach a deal on its nuclear weapons during the summit.

The White House is still sending a "pre-advance team" to Singapore as scheduled to prepare in case the summit takes place, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters on Saturday.

Kim met briefly with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the Demilitarized Zone on Saturday to discuss the possible summit with the U.S. in a meeting that was kept secret until after it happened.

— Updated at 12:42 p.m.