Melania Trump contacted Secret Service after Peter Fonda tweets

First lady Melania TrumpMelania TrumpThe Hill's 12:30 Report: Trump takes gamble on new China tariffs The Hill's Morning Report — Trump escalates trade war with China as talks continue John Kelly: Trump 'both sides' comments might have not been 'articulated properly' MORE’s office contacted the Secret Service after actor Peter Fonda went after her 12-year-old son during an early morning Twitter rant on Wednesday.

Stephanie Grisham, the first lady’s communications director, said in a statement to The Hill that the Secret Service was notified on Wednesday after Fonda tweeted about Barron Trump.

“The tweet is sick and irresponsible,” Grisham said.

The Daily Caller first reported the development. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Fonda called for the 12-year-old son of the first lady and President TrumpDonald John TrumpBooker backpedals after comparing Warren's Facebook proposal to Trump Booker: 'Thoughts and prayers' after gun violence are 'bullshit' Mike Pence tells Liberty University graduates to prepare to be 'shunned,' 'ridiculed' for being a Christian MORE to be ripped from Melania Trump's arms and “put in a cage with pedophiles.”

"WE SHOULD RIP BARRON TRUMP FROM HIS MOTHER’S ARMS AND PUT HIM IN A CAGE WITH PEDOPHILES AND SEE IF MOTHER WILL WILL STAND UP AGAINST THE GIANT ASSHOLE SHE IS MARRIED TO. 90 MILLION PEOPLE IN THE STREETS ON THE SAME WEEKEND IN THE COUNTRY. F---," he wrote on Twitter. 

The tweet has since been deleted, and the actor apologized in a statement.

"I tweeted something highly inappropriate and vulgar about the president and his family in response to the devastating images I was seeing on television,” Fonda said. “Like many Americans, I am very impassioned and distraught over the situation with children separated from their families at the border, but I went way too far. It was wrong and I should not have done it. I immediately regretted it and sincerely apologize to the family for what I said and any hurt my words have caused.” 

Fonda, the “Easy Rider" star and younger brother of actress Jane Fonda, also called for protesters to surround Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents while they’re picking up their children from school.

The actor’s tweets came amid national furor regarding the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy that was enacted earlier this year.

The aggressive measure means thousands of migrant children crossing the U.S.-Mexico border with their parents are being separated during criminal prosecutions.

Melania Trump has spoken out against the policy through Grisham.

"Mrs. Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform,” Grisham told The Hill on Sunday. “She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart.”

All of the living former first ladies — Rosalynn Carter, Laura Bush, Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonTrump Jr. subpoena spotlights GOP split over Russia probes Michael Bennet a welcome addition to the 2020 Democratic field Prospective 2020 Dem Steve Bullock teases 'big announcement' in new video MORE and Michelle ObamaMichelle LeVaughn Robinson Obama111-year-old woman gets free tickets to see Michelle Obama book tour Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reveal royal baby son for the first time Obama's post-White House memoir not expected to be published this year: report MORE — have spoken out against the Trump administration’s immigration policy.

--Updated 5:24 p.m.