White House condemns bomb threats against Clintons, Obamas, CNN

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Wednesday condemned the “attempted violent attacks” against former President Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham Clinton'Teflon Don' avoids the scorn of the 'family values' GOP — again Don't expect Trump-sized ratings for Democratic debates Ocasio-Cortez on Biden: 'I think that he's not a pragmatic choice' MORE after authorities intercepted potential explosive devices that had been mailed to their homes. 

In a statement, Sanders called the attempted attacks “despicable” and the perpetrators “cowards,” saying U.S. law enforcement agencies are investigating the incidents. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“We condemn the attempted violent attacks recently made against President Obama, President Clinton, Secretary Clinton, and other public figures,” Sanders said.

Later, Sanders said President TrumpDonald John Trump2020 Democrats spar over socialism ahead of first debate Senate passes .5 billion border bill, setting up fight with House 'Teflon Don' avoids the scorn of the 'family values' GOP — again MORE and other administration officials were closely monitoring the "ongoing situation," including threats made to CNN. 

Earlier Wednesday, the U.S. Secret Service confirmed that it intercepted two suspicious packages that had been mailed to the Barack and Michelle ObamaMichelle LeVaughn Robinson ObamaPremiere date announced for Obamas' first Netflix project Michelle Obama leads USA dodgeball against Corden's Team UK Michelle Obama to lead female celebrity dodgeball team in 'Late Late Show' face-off MORE's residence in Washington, D.C., and Bill and Hillary Clinton's home in Westchester County, N.Y.

The Secret Service said the packages were “immediately identified during routine mail screening procedures as potential explosive devices” and were intercepted before being delivered to the homes of the former officials.

The Secret Service said it has launched a “full scope” criminal investigation into the matter. The FBI is assisting in the investigation of both packages, a spokesperson said.

Separately, CNN evacuated its studios in New York City after a suspicious package was found in the mailroom. The New York City Police Department was on the scene to investigate Wednesday morning. 

Earlier this week, an explosive device was also found near the Bedford, N.Y., home of billionaire investor George Soros, and a bomb squad was called in to detonate the device safely. It is unclear at this time whether the events are related. 

Sanders insisted Wednesday that the perpetrators would be held accountable “to the fullest extent of the law.”

“These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” Sanders said. “The United States Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies are investigating and will take all appropriate actions to protect anyone threatened by these cowards.”

"This is an ongoing situation that President Trump and his admin are monitoring closely," Sanders said later. "Our condemnation of these [despicable] acts certainly includes threats made to CNN as well as current or former public servants. These cowardly acts are unacceptable and wont be tolerated."

—Updated at 11:21 a.m.