Administration

Kellyanne Conway: Trump could shut down government for wall funding

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Friday said “all options are open” in response to a question about President Trump potentially shutting down the government over funding for the border wall.

“Fox & Friends” host Steve Doocy said that “it doesn’t look he’s going to get funding for the wall” in the upcoming spending bill and asked Conway if there will be a government shutdown in response.

{mosads}“The president is keeping all options open,” Conway responded.

“I don’t know if there’s anything he [Trump] has been more explicit or consistent on in the last three and a half years.”

Conway then urged Congress to take action, saying that “they have failed to meet the president’s modest demands” on immigration.

Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) warned Trump Thursday against initiating a partial government shutdown over wall funding. 

“I said we shouldn’t ever want to shut down the government,” Shelby told reporters when asked about the discussion at the White House.

“I think maybe he agreed, I don’t know,” he said of the president’s response.

Congress has until Dec. 7 to fund the rest of the government after lawmakers failed to approve seven of the 12 individual funding bills before the end of the fiscal year deadline.

Trump has previously threatened government shutdowns over wall funding. 

In July, during a press conference with Italy’s prime minister, Trump said “If we don’t get border security after many, many years of talk within the United States, I would have no problem doing a shutdown.”

Tags border wall funding Donald Trump Government shutdown Kellyanne Conway Richard Shelby Trump

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video