DHS chief: Traffic lanes shut near San Diego after migrants planned to rush border

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said Monday that traffic was shut down at a key port of entry near San Diego because a large number of migrants "were planning to rush the border" illegally. 

"This AM, all of Port of Entry's northbound lanes were temporarily closed to initiate additional port hardening efforts after officials were notified that a large # of caravan migrants were planning to rush the border in an attempt to gain illegal access to the US," Nielsen wrote in a tweet.

Earlier Monday, traffic lanes were shut down by U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the San Ysidro Port of Entry, which is a major port of entry near San Diego. 

Nielsen wrote in a second tweet Monday that CBP and the Department of Defense blocked those lanes and said the lanes had been reopened "for legitimate trade and travel."

Nielsen added in a third tweet that some migrants "are purposely causing disruptions at our border ports of entry."

"There is a legal and illegal way to enter the US. We have deployed additional forces to protect our border. We will enforce all our laws," she continued.

Earlier this month, the Pentagon deployed thousands of troops to the border at the request of President TrumpDonald John TrumpPapadopoulos on AG's new powers: 'Trump is now on the offense' Pelosi uses Trump to her advantage Mike Pence delivers West Point commencement address MORE, who has claimed that migrants who may seek asylum in the U.S. pose a national security threat.

Trump on Sunday had criticized Nielsen during an interview on "Fox News Sunday," saying that she needed to be "much tougher" on the border.