Trump charity agrees to dissolve amid allegations of a 'shocking pattern of illegality'

President TrumpDonald John TrumpProtesters tear down statue of Christopher Columbus in Baltimore 'Independence Day' star Bill Pullman urges Americans to wear a 'freedom mask' in July 4 PSA Protesters burn American flag outside White House after Trump's July Fourth address MORE’s charity, the Donald J. Trump Foundation, has agreed to dissolve amid allegations from the New York Attorney General's Office that it engaged in a "shocking pattern of illegality."

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood (D) announced Tuesday that her office will continue to pursue its lawsuit against the foundation, which seeks $2.8 million in restitution plus penalties, as well as an order barring Trump and his three oldest children — Donald Trump Jr.Don John TrumpTrump Jr. knocks CNN's Chris Cuomo over interview with father: 'I'm not pretending to be a journalist' Trump Jr. to interview president for reelection campaign's online show 'Triggered' Trump Jr. calls elderly supporter who was assaulted MORE, Ivanka TrumpIvana (Ivanka) Marie TrumpTrump says he's 'all for masks' despite reluctance to wear one Trump signs order directing federal government to focus on skills when hiring Trump to return to rally stage in controversial style MORE and Eric TrumpEric Frederick TrumpHillicon Valley: Democrats introduce bill banning federal government use of facial recognition tech | House lawmakers roll out legislation to establish national cyber director | Top federal IT official to step down GOP lawmakers join social media app billed as alternative to Big Tech Lara Trump: Twitter no longer 'a platform for free speech' MORE — from serving on the boards of other New York charities.

Under the agreement, the foundation will dissolve under judicial supervision and provide the court with a list within 30 days of the not-for-profit organizations that receive money from the charity's remaining assets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Underwood's lawsuit, filed in June, alleged that Trump used the charity for political and personal gain. Underwood said the investigation she opened against the foundation in 2016 revealed the charity “was little more than a checkbook for payments to not-for-profits from Mr. Trump or the Trump Organization.”

“This resulted in multiple violations of state and federal law because payments were made using Foundation money regardless of the purpose of the payment,” she argued in the court filing.

“Mr. Trump used charitable assets to pay off the legal obligations of entities he controlled, to promote Trump hotels, to purchase personal items, and to support his presidential election campaign.”

Underwood said the stipulation reached Tuesday accomplishes a key piece of the lawsuit.

“Under the terms, the Trump Foundation can only dissolve under judicial supervision — and it can only distribute its remaining charitable assets to reputable organizations approved by my office."

The agreement comes after a judge on the New York Supreme Court last month allowed the state’s lawsuit against the Trump Foundation to go forward.

“Our petition detailed a shocking pattern of illegality involving the Trump Foundation — including unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more,” Underwood said in a statement.

Updated at 11:36 a.m.