The Trump administration said Wednesday it will appeal a federal judge’s order blocking the White House’s immigration policy restricting asylum claims at the southern border.

The administration told the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that it plans to appeal U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar’s order, according to a court filing reported by CNN.

Tigar’s order extended an initial injunction on the new rules that would bar migrants in the U.S. illegally from seeking asylum outside of official ports of entry.{mosads}

The Department of Justice filed a notice with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in November indicating it would take such an action.

“The injunction undermines the Executive Branch’s efforts, including its international diplomatic efforts, to encourage the large number of aliens transiting Mexico—who, rather than properly presenting themselves at a port of entry, violate our criminal law and endanger themselves, any children accompanying them, and U.S. law enforcement officers by crossing illegally into the country, as recent events have amply demonstrated—to simply follow our laws,” Justice Department lawyers argued.

A panel of the 9th Circuit Court had upheld Tigar’s temporary block earlier this month. Judge Jay Bybee, a George W. Bush nominee, authored that opinion.

The Supreme Court last week in a 5-4 vote also refused a request from the Trump administration to restore the newly implemented asylum restrictions.

President Trump has feuded with the 9th Circuit before, slamming it last month as “a complete & total disaster” after Tigar issued his initial ruling.

Tags Donald Trump
See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video