Trump responds to Coast Guard official accused of terror plot: 'It's a shame'

Trump responds to Coast Guard official accused of terror plot: 'It's a shame'
© Getty

President TrumpDonald John TrumpSenate gears up for battle over witnesses in impeachment trial Vulnerable Democrats tout legislative wins, not impeachment Trump appears to set personal record for tweets in a day MORE said it was "a very sad thing" that a Coast Guard lieutenant is accused of a plot to commit an act of white nationalist terrorism, but said he did not believe his own language was to blame for any attacks planned against the press. 

“I think it’s a shame," the president told reporters of the news about Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson. 

The 49-year-old has been accused by prosecutors of creating a hit list of prominent journalists and left-wing politicians. He reportedly hoped to start a race war.

Law enforcement officials said they found 15 firearms and at least 1,000 rounds of ammunition at his home, as well as the hit list. Prosecutors said Hasson was a self-proclaimed white nationalist who called for the use of violence to “establish a white homeland”

"I think it’s a very sad thing when a thing like that happens,” Trump said when he was asked about the case. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked whether he believed that his anti-press rhetoric was partly to blame, Trump said he did not.

“No, I don’t," he said. "I think my language is very nice.”

Trump added that he was going to receive a briefing with more information about the situation later on Friday. Hasson was arrested on gun and drug charges last week.  

Critics of Trump, including members of the press, have said Trump endangers reporters with his rhetoric.

This week, Trump said The New York Times was the "enemy of the people" a day after the outlet published a lengthy report about Trump's attacks on the investigations of his campaign and administration.