Warren takes aim at Pence: He’s not a ‘decent’ man
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) reportedly said Saturday that she does not believe Vice President Pence is a decent man.
“I’m sorry. I followed Pence’s history on LGBTQ Americans, and I don’t think that is a decent position,” Warren said, according to Iowa Starting Line. “I disagree.”
Asked if she thinks Pence is a “decent” man, Warren said “no.”
{mosads}The Massachusetts senator, who launched her 2020 presidential campaign earlier this year, made her opinions known just days after former Vice President Joe Biden faced scrutiny for calling Pence a “decent guy.”
Biden made the comments in reference to Pence at a Forum in Global Leadership at the University of Nebraska-Omaha on Thursday. The remark quickly led to backlash, with actress and former New York gubernatorial candidate Cynthia Nixon (D) asking Biden to “consider how this falls on the ears of our community.”
Biden, who is considering a 2020 run for president, later clarified that there was “nothing decent about being anti-LGBTQ rights, and that includes the Vice President.”
You’re right, Cynthia. I was making a point in a foreign policy context, that under normal circumstances a Vice President wouldn’t be given a silent reaction on the world stage.
But there is nothing decent about being anti-LGBTQ rights, and that includes the Vice President.
— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) February 28, 2019
Pence, who served as Indiana governor from 2013-2017, has faced criticism in the past from the LGBTQ community for legislation he has supported. In 2015, he signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, a bill that some viewed as anti-LGBTQ.
Warren added on Saturday that President Trump’s White House is “the most corrupt administration in living memory” when asked if there were any decent figures inside it.
FYI, the reporter followed up: “Do you think there’s anybody in the Trump Administration that you would see as decent?”
Elizabeth Warren’s response: pic.twitter.com/h81Bfo8ub4
— Iowa Starting Line (@IAStartingLine) March 2, 2019
“It’s a tough question,” Warren said. “The Mueller investigation has already produced 34 indictments or guilty pleas out of people in the president’s inner circle. Ten Cabinet officials have left, four with huge scandals and others with threat of scandal at the door. This is the most corrupt administration in living memory. That’s why we gotta be in this fight.”
Copyright 2024 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.