Trump officials say US efforts to deter Iran have worked

Trump officials say US efforts to deter Iran have worked
© Getty

Top Trump administration officials worked Tuesday to lower the temperature after weeks of escalating tension with Iran, arguing the decision to deploy U.S. military assets to the Persian Gulf has worked.

"We have deterred attacks based on our reposturing of assets, deterred attacks against American forces,” acting Defense Secretary Patrick ShanahanPatrick Michael ShanahanHouse Armed Services chairman expresses confidence in Esper amid aircraft carrier coronavirus crisis Boeing pleads for bailout under weight of coronavirus, 737 fallout Esper's chief of staff to depart at end of January MORE said. “Our biggest focus at this point is to prevent Iranian miscalculation. We do not want the situation to escalate. This is about deterrence, not about war."

Shanahan was speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill after he, Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoWatchdog confirms State Dept. canceled award for journalist who criticized Trump Trump's push for win with Sudan amps up pressure on Congress  Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize MORE and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford briefed the House and the Senate on intelligence that led the administration to deploy additional forces to the Middle East and warn of threats to U.S. personnel emanating from Iran.

ADVERTISEMENT

While congressional leaders from both parties and some individual lawmakers were previously briefed, Tuesday’s all-members briefings provided the first opportunity for many on Capitol Hill to question the administration on intelligence and policy toward Iran.

And while the Trump administration’s messaging Tuesday appeared designed to assuage concerns, Democrats emerged from the briefings continuing to voice concerns about President TrumpDonald John TrumpFederal prosecutor speaks out, says Barr 'has brought shame' on Justice Dept. Former Pence aide: White House staffers discussed Trump refusing to leave office Progressive group buys domain name of Trump's No. 1 Supreme Court pick MORE's strategy in the Middle East.

“I worry very much that intentionally or unintentionally we can create a situation in which a war will take place,” Sen. Bernie SandersBernie SandersSirota reacts to report of harassment, doxing by Harris supporters Republicans not immune to the malady that hobbled Democrats The Hill's Morning Report - Sponsored by Facebook - Republicans lawmakers rebuke Trump on election MORE (I-Vt.), who is running for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, told reporters. “When you do that, you’re talking about a war that will go on and on and on.”

Tuesday’s briefing followed an outcry from lawmakers that the administration had not provided enough information to Congress on its decision to deployment military assets to the Persian Gulf and pull non-emergency personnel from diplomatic missions in Iraq in response to alleged Iranian threats.

Worry about military conflict with Iran spiked after national security adviser John BoltonJohn BoltonJudge appears skeptical of Bolton's defense of publishing book without White House approval Maximum pressure is keeping US troops in Iraq and Syria Woodward book trails Bolton, Mary Trump in first-week sales MORE announced earlier this month the accelerated deployment of a carrier strike group to the Middle East as well as a new deployment of a bomber task force in response to unspecified Iranian threats. The State Department then pulled non-emergency personnel from Iraq last week over the threats.

For his part, Trump spent days repeatedly pushing back on reports of disagreement among top aides over his administration's Iran strategy and said last week he hoped there would not be war with Tehran. On Monday evening, in a change in message, Trump said he had “no indication” Iran will act.

“With Iran, we'll see what happens. But they've been very hostile,” Trump said. “We have no indication that anything has happened or will happen. But if it does, it will be met, obviously, with great force. We'll have no choice.”

In addition to his comments at the Capitol, Shanahan told reporters at the Pentagon ahead of the briefing Tuesday that any threat from Iran is “on hold” after the arrival of U.S. military assets to the region.

“That doesn’t mean that the threats that we’ve previously identified have gone away,” Shanahan continued. “Our prudent response, I think, has given the Iranians time to recalculate.”

Trump also said Monday that if Iran called, “we would certainly negotiate,” but added that “if they're not ready, they don't have to bother.”

But Iran dismissed the idea of talks with the United States, with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani saying Tuesday that “today’s situation is not suitable for talks and our choice is resistance only.”

Still, several Trump allies in Congress insisted that the situation is not headed toward war, an apparent effort to diffuse heated rhetoric.

“I think both sides want to avoid war,” Sen. John CornynJohn CornynHillicon Valley: Productivity, fatigue, cybersecurity emerge as top concerns amid pandemic | Facebook critics launch alternative oversight board | Google to temporarily bar election ads after polls close Lawmakers introduce legislation to boost cybersecurity of local governments, small businesses On The Trail: Making sense of this week's polling tsunami MORE (R-Texas) said.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellDemocratic senator to party: 'A little message discipline wouldn't kill us' House to vote on resolution affirming peaceful transition of power Republican lawyers brush off Trump's election comments MORE (R-Ky.), who was also briefed last week as a member of the so-called Gang of Eight, similarly said ahead of the briefing that there has been no talk of military action.

“Nobody's talking about a military solution to the current friction with the Iranians,” he said. “I haven't heard anybody discuss that.”

In the House, the top Republican on the Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Mike McCaul (Texas), also told reporters "there is no intention to go to war in the region."

Democrats, though, remain concerned the administration is misrepresenting the intelligence to the public.

“I truly believe that the intel has been misinterpreted and misrepresented by Secretary Pompeo, by [national security adviser John] Bolton, and other people that do want us to go to war in Iran, as a repeat to Iraq,” Rep. Ruben GallegoRuben GallegoHispanic caucus report takes stock of accomplishments with eye toward 2021 Senators call on Pentagon to reinstate funding for Stars and Stripes newspaper Hispanic Caucus campaign chief to mount leadership bid MORE (D-Ariz.) told reporters after the briefing.

Sen. Chris MurphyChristopher (Chris) Scott MurphyDemocratic senator calls for 'more flexible' medical supply chain to counter pandemics The Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by Facebook - Don't expect a government check anytime soon GOP chairman to release interim report on Biden probe 'in about a week' MORE (D-Conn.) said there was debate in the Senate briefing about whether a threat has in fact been put “on hold” as Shanahan claimed.

“It doesn’t seem like we’ve gotten any benefits thus far of the actions we’ve taken,” Murphy said. “The Iranians don’t want to talk to us, and they continue to escalate militarily. So tell me what the point of what we’re doing is.”

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Adam SmithDavid (Adam) Adam SmithOvernight Defense: Appeals court revives House lawsuit against military funding for border wall | Dems push for limits on transferring military gear to police | Lawmakers ask for IG probe into Pentagon's use of COVID-19 funds Democrats push to limit transfer of military-grade gear to police 40 groups call on House panel to investigate Pentagon's use of coronavirus funds MORE (D-Wash.) said “we are told that Iran is less threatening as a result of our actions” without getting into specifics, but added that whether the situation is de-escalating a “difficult thing to calculate.” 

“There’s a lot going on in a lot of different places,” Smith said, “so I would hesitate to say it’s de-escalated at this point.”