Trump: 'We have secured the Oil. Bringing soldiers home!'

President TrumpDonald John TrumpNew Bob Woodward book will include details of 25 personal letters between Trump and Kim Jong Un On The Money: Pelosi, Mnuchin talk but make no progress on ending stalemate | Trump grabs 'third rail' of politics with payroll tax pause | Trump uses racist tropes to pitch fair housing repeal to 'suburban housewife' Biden commemorates anniversary of Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' rally: 'We are in a battle for the soul of our nation' MORE tweeted on Sunday that the government has “secured the Oil” and is “bringing soldiers home” days after the U.S. and Turkey entered an agreement to temporarily suspend Ankara’s invasion into northern Syria.

“USA soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zones. We have secured the Oil. Bringing soldiers home!” Trump wrote in a tweet on Sunday morning.

It's unclear what Trump meant by his oil comment and a similar claim last week that resulted in some confusion among the foreign policy community. In his initial tweet, which was later corrected, Trump also referred to Defense Secretary Mark EsperMark EsperOvernight Defense: Trump reportedly considering replacing Esper after election | FBI, Air Force investigating after helicopter shot at in Virginia | Watchdog says UK envoy made inappropriate comments on religion, race, sex Trump eyes replacing Esper after election: reports Overnight Defense: Esper confirms plans to drop below 5,000 troops in Afghanistan | State Department says it's cleared of wrongdoing in emergency arms sales before investigation's release MORE as "Mark Esperanto."

Esper earlier on Sunday told reporters that about 700 troops withdrawing from Syria will be moved to western Iraq.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the tweet on Sunday, Trump also shared a quote from Esper that said, “The ceasefire is holding up very nicely. There are some minor skirmishes that have ended quickly. New areas being resettled with the Kurds.” 

It was not immediately clear where Esper had made the comment, which was reportedly not part of his public remarks earlier in the day.

Last Sunday, Esper confirmed during an appearance on CBS’s “Face the Nation” that the president ordered a withdrawal of roughly 1,000 U.S. troops from northern Syria.

ADVERTISEMENT

Esper said Trump decided to increase the withdrawal, which turned out to be larger than previously reported, after reports emerged of Turkey expanding its offensive “further south than originally planned and to the west.” 

In the interview, Esper brought up reports that the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces are looking to enter into a deal with the Syrian and Russian governments.

“And so we find ourselves as we have American forces likely caught between two opposing advancing armies, and it's a very untenable situation,” Esper said.

“So I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team, and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria,” he said.