Trump denies report that he still uses personal cell phone for calls

Trump denies report that he still uses personal cell phone for calls
© UPI Photo

President TrumpDonald TrumpThe Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - White House, Dems play blame game over evictions The Memo: Left pins hopes on Nina Turner in Ohio after recent defeats Biden administration to keep Trump-era rule of turning away migrants during pandemic MORE on Friday denied a report that he still uses a personal cell phone to make calls, insisting that he relies solely on phones issued and approved by the government.

“Fake News @CNN is reporting that I am 'still using personal cell phone for calls despite repeated security warnings.' This is totally false information and reporting," Trump tweeted.

"I haven’t had a personal cell phone for years. Only use government approved and issued phones. Retract!” he added.

The tweet came in response to a CNN report Friday evening saying that Trump still uses his personal device to make calls in spite of warnings from staffers about the threat of foreign surveillance. The network cited "multiple officials" for its report.

ADVERTISEMENT

CNN reporter Zachary Cohen, one of the authors of the story, said in a tweet that the network stood by its reporting.

The report comes after witnesses in the House impeachment inquiry testified that top administration officials did not follow protocol to protect phone conversations — including discussions with Trump — from foreign interception.

ADVERTISEMENT

The House Intelligence panel also released a slate of phone records showing communications between Trump's personal attorney Rudy GiulianiRudy GiulianiGiuliani rips Ukraine investigation: 'I committed no crime' Capitol insurrection hearing exposes Trumpworld delusions DOJ declines to back Mo Brooks's defense against Swalwell's riot lawsuit MORE; Ukrainian American businessman Lev Parnas; the Intelligence Committee's ranking member Rep. Devin NunesDevin Gerald NunesSunday shows preview: Bipartisan infrastructure talks drag on; Democrats plow ahead with Jan. 6 probe Lawmakers spend more on personal security in wake of insurrection Tucker Carlson claims NSA leaked private emails to journalists MORE (R-Calif.); conservative columnist John Solomon, formerly of The Hill; and the White House's budget office.

The records do not explicitly name Trump, though Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam SchiffAdam Bennett SchiffA new kind of hero? Last week's emotional TV may be a sign Officers offer harrowing accounts at first Jan. 6 committee hearing Live coverage: House panel holds first hearing on Jan. 6 probe MORE (D-Calif.) said investigators are looking into an "unidentified" number designated simply as "-1" in the logs, saying it could be associated with the president.

Congress’s ability to subpoena the phone records indicate that the calls were likely not made on a secure line and not made using an app that encrypts phone conversations, CNN noted.