President TrumpDonald TrumpTexas announces election audit in four counties after Trump demand Schumer sets Monday showdown on debt ceiling-government funding bill Pennsylvania AG sues to block GOP subpoenas in election probe MORE said Sunday that Prince Harry and Meghan MarkleMeghan MarkleHarry and Meghan join celeb-filled vaccine equity event Royal family supports BLM movement, senior representative says Culture editor Emily Jashinsky says groups like Time's Up pose conflicts of interest MORE must pay for their own security if they move to the U.S.
The president tweeted Sunday in response to reports that the prince and his wife had moved to Los Angeles. He started by saying he is a “great friend and admirer” of the queen and the U.K.
“It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada,” he posted. “Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 29, 2020
The couple announced earlier this year that they would step back from their royal family roles and earned the support of Queen Elizabeth II. They had said they would split their time between North America and the U.K.
A report from the Evening Standard in January said Canadian Prime Minister Justin TrudeauJustin Pierre James TrudeauEquilibrium/Sustainability — Presented by The American Petroleum Institute — Climate change turning US into coffee country Canadian police: Man assaulted nurse for vaccinating his wife Biden calls for wealthy countries to 'step up' in global vaccination effort MORE agreed the country would fund half of the $1.3 million in estimated security costs, but he has said the conversations are tentative.
But reports circulated last week that the royal couple and their son had moved to Los Angeles, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The royal family moved in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, which has captured the world’s attention, as hundreds of thousands of people have been infected, thousands of people have died, and many countries and states are banning people from leaving their homes except in certain circumstances.