Trump cancels trip to NJ resort amid protests
President Trump won’t make an expected trip to his resort in Bedminster, N.J., this weekend, as nationwide protests demanding justice for George Floyd are expected to continue.
Earlier in the week, the FAA released an advisory indicating that Trump would travel there for the weekend, but that advisory was withdrawn on Thursday. The White House never formally announced the trip.
The president hasn’t made an overnight trip since March because of the coronavirus pandemic. His plans to travel this weekend were made before Floyd’s death involving former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin sparked countrywide outrage and civil unrest, two GOP officials familiar with the president’s plans told Politico.
“The president’s looking forward to another working weekend,” a separate senior White House official told the publication.
Trump’s visits to his Garden State resort often result in small protests, but Trump officials predicted larger ones to take place this weekend given the circumstances, according to the news outlet.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) punted on the question when asked about Trump’s now-scrapped trip, but he did say that larger-than-usual protests had been expected this weekend.
“I don’t think it’s appropriate to talk about security as it relates to any of us, and that includes, certainly, the president,” Murphy said a press briefing Thursday.
“Obviously, it’s something we take very seriously. It is not a first-time visit, so this is a regular reality since he’s been president and there is a rhythm associated with this — and I think we will leave it at that.”
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.