National security adviser Robert O'BrienRobert O'BrienLawmakers pay tribute to Colin Powell Trump's last national security adviser endorses JD Vance in Ohio Senate race Huawei says sales rose in 2020, but growth slowed amid US sanctions MORE returned to work at the White House on Tuesday after recovering from a mild case of COVID-19, an administration official confirmed.
"The National Security Advisor has already met with the President, who warmly welcomed him back to the West Wing," National Security Council spokesman John Ullyot said in a statement.
"He has been cleared by doctors after two negative tests for the virus, and has been asymptomatic for over a week," Ullyot added. "His return to duties at the White House is consistent with CDC guidelines and White House Medical Unit advice."
The White House last week confirmed that O’Brien had tested positive for COVID-19 and had been working remotely. O'Brien is the highest-ranking White House official to date to test positive for the virus, which has infected roughly 4.7 million Americans and killed more than 150,000 people in the U.S.
An official said at the time that there was no risk of exposure to either President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump announces new social media network called 'TRUTH Social' Virginia State Police investigating death threat against McAuliffe Meadows hires former deputy AG to represent him in Jan. 6 probe: report MORE or Vice President Pence. Trump told reporters he had not spoken to O'Brien in the days before his diagnosis was revealed.
It was not clear where O'Brien had contracted the virus, but officials said he was experiencing mild symptoms.