SPONSORED:

Trump Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett tests negative for coronavirus

Trump Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett tests negative for coronavirus
© UPI Photo

Judge Amy Coney Barrett, President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump State Department appointee arrested in connection with Capitol riot Intelligence community investigating links between lawmakers, Capitol rioters Michelle Obama slams 'partisan actions' to 'curtail access to ballot box' MORE's Supreme Court pick, has tested negative for the coronavirus, the White House said Friday.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said Barrett, who was last with the president on Saturday, is tested on a daily basis and her Friday test was negative. He added that she has been adhering to COVID-19 guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"She is following CDC guidance and best practices, including social distancing, wearing face coverings and frequently washes hands," Deere said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump and the first lady tweeted early Friday morning that they had both tested positive for COVID-19.

Trump's diagnosis raised automatic questions about Barrett, who had been in close proximity with the president on Saturday and was with Vice President Pence and White House chief of staff Mark MeadowsMark MeadowsHow scientists saved Trump's FDA from politics Liberals howl after Democrats cave on witnesses Kinzinger calls for people with info on Trump to come forward MORE on Tuesday. Pence and Meadows have both tested negative, the White House said Friday.

Barrett has also been in the Capitol this week meeting individually with roughly 30 Republican senators. Those meetings are expected to resume next week.

Top Republicans said Friday that Trump's positive test results would not change their schedule for Barrett's hearing.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey GrahamLindsey Olin GrahamRon Johnson grinds Senate to halt, irritating many Here's who Biden is now considering for budget chief House Democratic leaders back Shalanda Young for OMB after Tanden withdrawal MORE (R-S.C.) said in South Carolina that her nomination was "on track." A GOP aide said there are no changes to the plan to start her confirmation hearing on Oct. 12. The Judiciary Committee is expected to vote to send her full nomination to the floor on Oct. 22.

"We can move forward. Our biggest enemy obviously is ... the coronavirus, keeping everybody healthy and well and in place to do our job," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellRon Johnson grinds Senate to halt, irritating many Klain on Harris breaking tie: 'Every time she votes, we win' How to pass legislation in the Senate without eliminating the filibuster MORE (R-Ky.) told radio host Hugh Hewitt on Friday. "We don’t anticipate any kind of unanticipated event that could throw us off schedule."