Campaign

Federal judge orders Michigan to move ahead with presidential recount

Greg Nash

A federal judge has ordered Michigan election officials to conduct a recount of ballots cast in the presidential election beginning Monday at noon, according to multiple reports.

{mosads}U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith issued the order early Monday morning.

The ruling comes after Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein filed for a recount in the state, which President-elect Donald Trump won by a razor-thin margin.

In his ruling, Goldsmith said a state law that requires a two-business-day waiting period to begin a recount is likely in violation of voting rights, according to the Detroit Free Press.

In his ruling, he said the “plaintiffs here have shown a credible threat that the recount, if delayed, would not be completed by the ‘safe harbor’ day,” according to Politico.

“The fundamental right invoked by Plaintiffs — the right to vote, and to have that vote conducted fairly and counted accurately — is the bedrock of our Nation,” he wrote.

“Without elections that are conducted fairly – and perceived to be fairly conducted – public confidence in our political institutions will swiftly erode.”

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette filed a lawsuit last week in opposition to the recount, according to CNN.

“It is inexcusable for Stein to put Michigan voters at risk of paying millions and potentially losing their voice in the Electoral College in the process,” Schuette, a Republican, said in a statement.

Stein has filed for recounts in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania in addition to Michigan — three traditionally blue states that the president-elect won.

Tags Donald Trump
See all Hill.TV See all Video