House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin NunesDevin Gerald NunesLIVE COVERAGE: Ways and Means begins Day 2 on .5T package Biden faces unfinished mission of evacuating Americans Nunes sues MSNBC, alleging Rachel Maddow defamed him MORE (R-Calif.) is moving quickly to file a contempt resolution against top FBI and Justice Department officials for failing to turn over documents he requested over the summer, as part of the panel's ongoing Russia probe, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.
The contempt resolution will target FBI Director Christopher Wray and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein over “outstanding documents” related to an August subpoena he issued that asked for records related to the controversial Russia dossier.
The dossier, a compiled set of memos, contained unverified and salacious allegations about President Trump's ties with Moscow.
The California lawmaker has since filed more subpoenas requesting interviews with the top two law enforcement officials, Wray and Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsOvernight Hillicon Valley — Apple issues security update against spyware vulnerability Stanford professors ask DOJ to stop looking for Chinese spies at universities in US Overnight Energy & Environment — Democrats detail clean electricity program MORE, according to the report.
Nunes is also interested in talking to Peter Strzok, an FBI counterintelligence expert who has been in the center of controversy since being fired by special counsel Robert Mueller, who is leading his own probe into Russia's interference in the 2016 election.
Mueller fired Strzok, who worked as the No. 2 agent on the FBI's probe of Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonPennsylvania GOP authorizes subpoenas in election probe We must mount an all-country response to help our Afghan allies Biden nominates ex-State Department official as Export-Import Bank leader MORE’s email server, for allegedly sending text messages critical of President Trump, The Washington Post reported, citing multiple sources familiar with the matter.
The Justice Department reportedly signaled to Nunes this week that they would make Strzok and others officials available for interviews, but Nunes said that is just one step towards satisfying his information requests, telling the newspaper “we have a long way to go.”
In the past, the Justice Department has pushed back on Nunes’s assertion that they have not cooperated.
A spokesman for Nunes told the newspaper on Tuesday that “barring an imminent breakthrough” with the department, he would move forward with the contempt resolution.
While Nunes stepped back from the Russia investigation earlier this year after making a secret trip to the White House to view documents he told reporters revealed inappropriate "unmasking" of transition team officials, his latest involvement in the contempt resolution indicates he has not fully removed himself from the going-ons of the investigation.