Amash blasts Trump for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David week of 9/11

Rep. Justin AmashJustin AmashAmash: 'Bolton never should have been hired' Romney: Bolton firing 'a huge loss' for nation Amash says Sanford presidential bid won't impact decision on whether he runs in 2020 MORE (I-Mich.) on Sunday denounced President TrumpDonald John TrumpBusiness, ballots and battling opioids: Why the Universal Postal Union benefits the US Sanders supporters cry foul over Working Families endorsement of Warren California poll: Biden, Sanders lead Democratic field; Harris takes fifth MORE for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David for peace talks just days before the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. 

"How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?" Amash, an Independent who left the GOP earlier this year, said on Twitter after Trump announced that he'd canceled secret meetings with leaders of the Taliban and Afghanistan's president. 

The president said on Twitter on Saturday that he was expecting to meet with leaders of the Taliban for what he described as "very important peace talks" at Camp David. But he said he canceled the meeting and peace negotiations with the insurgent group after learning that its leadership had claimed credit for a deadly attack in Kabul. 

ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?" he asked in a series of tweets. "They only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?" 

The White House has not offered specific details about Trump's plans to talk with a Taliban representative. The administration has been engaged in talks with the group for months despite the Taliban's refusal to directly communicate with the Afghan government. 

Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoThe Hill's 12:30 Report: Trump heads to California Pence says US is 'locked and loaded' to defend allies US-Iran next moves — Déjà vu of Obama administration mistakes? MORE on Sunday defended the president's plans, saying that the administration had "an obligation to do everything we can."

"The president believed we could further that, further American national interest, with people that have the capacity to actually deliver," Pompeo said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Democratic and Republican lawmakers have ripped Trump over the planned meeting, with many expressing dismay over the timing. The 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks is on Wednesday. 

"Never should leaders of a terrorist organization that hasn't renounced 9/11 and continue in evil be allowed in our great country. NEVER. Full stop," Rep. Adam KinzingerAdam Daniel KinzingerBolton returns to political group after exiting administration Overnight Defense: Trump ousts Bolton in shocker | Fallout, reaction from GOP senators | Senate spending talks in chaos | Dems eye vote to nix Trump border emergency The Hill's 12:30 Report: Bolton out as national security adviser MORE (R-Ill.) tweeted

Sen. Amy KlobucharAmy Jean KlobucharObama, Bush among those paying tribute to Cokie Roberts: 'A trailblazing figure' Kamala Harris calls for new investigation into Kavanaugh allegations Overnight Energy: Top presidential candidates to skip second climate forum | Group sues for info on 'attempts to politicize' NOAA | Trump allows use of oil reserve after Saudi attacks MORE (D-Minn.), a 2020 presidential candidate, called it another example of Trump "treating foreign policy like some kind of game show."