Scalise to self-quarantine in response to Diaz-Balart test
House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) said Wednesday evening that he will self-quarantine for the next two weeks after Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) tested positive for the coronavirus, citing a meeting between the two congressmen last week.
“I have just been informed that my colleague, Mario Diaz-Balart, tested positive for COVID-19. Since I had an extended meeting with him late last week, out of an abundance of caution, I have decided it would be best to self-quarantine based on the guidance of the Attending Physician of the United State Congress,” Scalise said in a statement.
“Fortunately, I am not experiencing any symptoms, and will continue working remotely on Congress’ coronavirus response, and will remain in close contact with the Trump administration’s coronavirus task force, my colleagues in Congress, as well as local officials and health professionals in Louisiana to ensure that swift action to address this crisis continues,” he added.
My full statement regarding the news that a Republican Member of Congress tested positive for COVID-19: pic.twitter.com/veNSVuTuLW
— Steve Scalise (@SteveScalise) March 18, 2020
Diaz-Balart became the first member of Congress to test positive for the virus Wednesday evening, followed soon after by Rep. Ben McAdams (D-Utah). Several members of Congress have already self-quarantined after exposure to a person at the Conservative Political Action Conference who later tested positive, including Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) and Doug Collins (R-Ga.), and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).