Pelosi orders Capitol flags at half-staff to honor Ginsburg

Pelosi orders Capitol flags at half-staff to honor Ginsburg

Speaker Nancy PelosiNancy PelosiHouse approves bill to ease passage of debt limit hike Ocasio-Cortez: 'Embarrassment' that Democratic leaders are delaying Boebert punishment Overnight Health Care — Biden mandate faces Dem resistance MORE (D-Calif.) on Friday night ordered flags at the U.S. Capitol to be flown at half-staff following the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader GinsburgRuth Bader GinsburgRuth Bader Ginsburg Women of Leadership Award given to Queen Elizabeth What's that you smell in the Supreme Court? The Memo: Trump's justices look set to restrict abortion MORE.

Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill shared the news about Pelosi's order on Twitter. Hammill confirmed to The Hill that the flags would remain at half-staff until Ginsburg is laid to rest, as is tradition.

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, when an associate justice dies, flags are “to be displayed at half-staff from the day of death until interment.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Ginsburg died Friday night at the age of 87 following a battle with metastatic pancreatic cancer.

A private interment service will be held at Arlington National Cemetery, the Supreme Court said, though a date has not been released.

Flags at the Capitol were previously lowered to half-staff earlier this summer following the death of Rep. John LewisJohn LewisDole to lie in state in Capitol Rotunda Democratic frustration growing over stagnating voting rights bills With extreme gerrymanders locking in, Biden needs to make democracy preservation job one MORE (D-Ga.) in July.

Ginsburg was the court's liberal leader and was a trailblazing figure on gender equality.

"Every woman and girl, and therefore every family, in America has benefitted from her brilliance," Pelosi tweeted Friday night.

News of Ginsburg's death prompted a visceral reaction on social media, with Democrats voicing concerns that President TrumpDonald TrumpSenate rejects attempt to block Biden's Saudi arms sale Crenshaw slams House Freedom Caucus members as 'grifters,' 'performance artists' Senate confirms Biden's nominee to lead Customs and Border Protection MORE and Senate Republicans will attempt to fill the vacancy even though there is only 46 days until the election.

In early 2016, after former Justice Antonin Scalia died, former President Obama put forward Merrick GarlandMerrick GarlandBiden Supreme Court study panel unanimously approves final report Lawmakers call for investigation into proposed AT&T WarnerMedia, Discovery merger Family asks for better treatment for Maxwell as trial stretches on MORE as his pick for the high court, but the nomination was blocked by Senate Republicans who claimed that the American people should be able to have a say in who the next Supreme Court justice was through that year's election.

Senate Minority Leader Charles SchumerChuck SchumerBuild Back Better Is bad for the states  Dole to lie in state in Capitol Rotunda Biden points to drug prices in call for Senate social spending vote MORE (D-N.Y.) on Friday night echoed what McConnell said four years ago.

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president,” Schumer tweeted.

However, McConnell indicated in a statement late Friday that Republicans would move to confirm a nominee put forward by Trump.

Four Senate Republicans would need to break ranks if Democrats want to block Trump. A handful of GOP senators have previously said that they would not vote to confirm a new justice to the bench so close to the general election.

“When Republicans held off Merrick Garland it was because nine months prior to the election was too close, we needed to let people decide,” Sen. Lisa MurkowskiLisa Ann MurkowskiSenate leaders face pushback on tying debt fight to defense bill Congress should reject H.R. 1619's dangerous anywhere, any place casino precedent Democratic frustration growing over stagnating voting rights bills MORE (R-Alaska) said last month. “And I agreed to do that. If we now say that months prior to the election is OK when nine months was not, that is a double standard and I don’t believe we should do it. … I would not support it.”

In 2018, Sen. Lindsey GrahamLindsey Olin GrahamMcConnell faces GOP pushback on debt deal Bottom line GOP senators introduce bill targeting Palestinian 'martyr payments' MORE (R-S.C.) said: “This may make you feel better, but I really don’t care. ... If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait until the next election."

Updated: 9:08 p.m.