SPONSORED:

Pelosi pushes back on Joint Chiefs chairman's account of Guard deployment on Jan. 6

Pelosi pushes back on Joint Chiefs chairman's account of Guard deployment on Jan. 6
© Greg Nash

House Speaker Nancy PelosiNancy PelosiYoung Turks founder on Democratic establishment: 'They lie nonstop' Hillicon Valley: Senate unanimously confirms Chris Inglis as first White House cyber czar | Scrutiny mounts on Microsoft's surveillance technology | Senators unveil bill to crack down on cyber criminals 'It's still a BFD': Democrats applaud ruling upholding ObamaCare MORE (D-Calif.) pushed back on the Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman’s account of the National Guard deployment during the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. Capitol.

During an interview on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports” on Wednesday, Mitchell played a clip of an interview with Gen. Mark MilleyMark MilleyOvernight Defense: House votes to repeal 2002 Iraq war powers | Pentagon leaders press senators to reimburse National Guard | New pressure on US-Iran nuclear talks Milley downplays report of 1,900 lost or stolen military firearms Top US general: Chinese military has 'ways to go' before it can take Taiwan MORE.

“There was no attempt to delay the deployment of the National Guard, I mean that’s just false,” Milley said in the clip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Pelosi pushed back immediately after the clip ended. 

“That isn’t false and I was there and I can attest to what happened,” she said. “But let’s hear people talk about it in a commission to find the truth about January 6.”

“I have the highest regard for Gen. Milley, but he doesn’t know the full picture if he presenting the characterization that he just presented,” Pelosi continued. “The fact is that they could’ve been there very much sooner and it would’ve been much less destruction.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The interview comes amid continuing questions surrounding hesitancy to deploy the Guard as supporters of former President TrumpDonald TrumpChinese apps could face subpoenas, bans under Biden executive order: report Kim says North Korea needs to be 'prepared' for 'confrontation' with US Ex-Colorado GOP chair accused of stealing more than 0K from pro-Trump PAC MORE were breaching the Capitol in an attempt to halt the certification of President BidenJoe BidenChinese apps could face subpoenas, bans under Biden executive order: report OVERNIGHT ENERGY:  EPA announces new clean air advisors after firing Trump appointees |  Senate confirms Biden pick for No. 2 role at Interior | Watchdog: Bureau of Land Management saw messaging failures, understaffing during pandemic Poll: Majority back blanket student loan forgiveness MORE’s Electoral College victory.

Police officials and politicians have slammed the Pentagon for what they claimed was a delayed response as law enforcement was being quickly overrun by rioters.

Milley has previously said the response to the rioting was “super fast,” insisting the approval occurred within an hour and that the deployment itself took several hours.

House sergeant-at-arms Maj. General William Walker, who was commander of D.C.’s National Guard at the time, testified last month that Pentagon officials approved deploying the Guard three hours after the Capitol Police Chief placed a “frantic call.”

An undisclosed document obtained by The Associated Press earlier the moth reveled that former President Trump approved activating the Guard three days prior to the rally, but the Guard’s role was restricted to traffic sections and checkpoints across the city.

The news outlet reported that there was hesitancy to display a strong military presence due to criticism of the response to civil unrest following the police killing of George Floyd last May.