Stephen Bannon, the former Breitbart executive who is now a strategist to President TrumpDonald TrumpStowaway found in landing gear of plane after flight from Guatemala to Miami Kushner looking to Middle East for investors in new firm: report GOP eyes booting Democrats from seats if House flips MORE, may now be the establishment voice in the White House, says former Sen. Ted CruzRafael (Ted) Edward CruzBiden administration resists tougher Russia sanctions in Congress Republicans struggle to save funding for Trump's border wall GOP holds on Biden nominees set back gains for women in top positions MORE (R-Texas) communications director Rick Tyler.
Tyler offered a different take on Anthony Scaramucci's limited tenure as White House communications director, stating that if the objective in bringing him in was to rid Trump of his first chief of staff and press secretary — Reince Priebus and Sean Spicer, both veterans of the Republican National Committee — that goal was achieved.
Scaramucci, 53, resigned Monday after just 10 days on the job.
Huffington Post senior politics editor Sam Stein warned that Preibus and Spicer could hurt the White House by leaking negative stories now that they have been pushed out.
“When you unceremoniously fire or get rid of your chief of staff, in this case, Reince Priebus, and your press secretary, there is the possibility that they might come around and bite you,” said Stein, who is regular on the MSNBC morning program.
“I’m not saying they're responsible for The Washington Post story, but you have to wonder if people are disaffected with your administration, who work in the administration, what kind of stuff they can tell the press,” he continued. “I’m sure that’s going on in the minds of Trump people today.”
Spicer resigned on July 19 but is actually still working at the White House through August.
Stein is referring to a Monday evening Washington Post story that President Trump reportedly dictated a misleading statement on July 8 about his eldest son's meeting with a Russian lawyer in June 2016 that was ultimately issued to The New York Times by Donald Trump Jr.
The statement about a meeting Trump Jr. had with a Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign emphasized that it was “not a campaign issue at the time.” Instead, it said the topic had been primarily Russian adoption policy.
The president’s attorney would not comment on the details regarding Trump’s involvement with his son's statement on Monday night.
“Apart from being of no consequence, the characterizations are misinformed, inaccurate, and not pertinent,” attorney Jay Sekulow said in his statement to the Post.