Reporter says Spicer threatened legal action over texted, emailed questions

Reporter says Spicer threatened legal action over texted, emailed questions
© Greg Nash

Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer threatened legal action against a reporter who sent him questions via text and email, the journalist said early Thursday.

Axios reported Thursday that Spicer took detailed notes during meetings at the Republican National Convention (RNC), during President Trump's campaign and at the White House. A source told the news outlet that Spicer "documented everything."

Axios reporter Mike Allen said in his morning newsletter that he texted Spicer for details on his note-taking and, in response, the former White House press secretary requested the reporter "stop texting/emailing me unsolicited anymore."

Allen reportedly responded with a "?"

ADVERTISEMENT

"Not sure what that means," Spicer wrote in response, according to Allen. "From a legal standpoint I want to be clear: Do not email or text me again. Should you do again I will report to the appropriate authorities."

Spicer responded similarly to an email sent by the reporter, Allen said.

"Please refrain from sending me unsolicited texts and emails," Spicer reportedly wrote. "Should you not do so I will contact the appropriate legal authorities to address your harassment."

Earlier this month, The Washington Post reported that special counsel Robert Mueller told the White House his team would seek to interview six senior and former aides to Trump, including Spicer.

According to people familiar with the probe, each of the six aides was involved in internal discussions related to incidents that have drawn Mueller's interest, such as Trump's decision earlier this year to fire former FBI Director James Comey.

Spicer faced backlash earlier this month after making a surprise appearance at Sunday night's Emmy awards, during which he mocked an exchange he had earlier this year with reporters about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.