Fox News incorrectly claims MSNBC devoted no time to Steinle verdict
Fox News incorrectly claimed that MSNBC spent no time covering the verdict in the Kate Steinle trial.
In a tweet from the Fox News account, the network wrote: “‘0 Minutes’: MSNBC Ignores Kate Steinle Trial Verdict.”
Fox linked to an article which said MSNBC had “ignored the case’s verdict altogether.”
‘0 Minutes’: MSNBC Ignores Kate Steinle Trial Verdict https://t.co/NRCNwKCeHV pic.twitter.com/rCFQvKnln5
— Fox News (@FoxNews) December 3, 2017
But MSNBC did report last week the verdict of the trial, according to videos and transcripts of the segment. A segment that aired on the network addressed the verdict and covered President Trump’s response.
Using resources anyone can use, it took me less than 5 min to fact check that on Friday MSNBC’s First Look reported on the verdict and @SRuhle mentioned the story in the preview of her 9 AM MSNBC newscast. pic.twitter.com/63P6A6pzFS
— Richard W. (@IceManNYR) December 4, 2017
Uh, wait a second. MSNBC did cover this @PeteHegseth… https://t.co/EgbquBuPn2 https://t.co/oxOmYUBG0h
— Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) December 4, 2017
“Fox & Friends” later issued a correction asserting that MSNBC covered the Stienle verdict for 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
On Sunday we said MSNBC did not cover the Steinle verdict on Friday or Saturday at all. We were wrong. In that 48 hour span, they covered it a total of 2 minutes and 15 seconds. https://t.co/onKFtEDdEp
— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) December 4, 2017
A San Francisco jury last Thursday acquitted Jose Ines Garcia Zarate of murder and manslaughter charges in the fatal shooting of Steinle.
Zarate, who was in the U.S. illegally at the time of the shooting, had previously been deported five times. President Trump and other Republicans have used the case as a rallying cry for tougher immigration laws.
The court found Zarate not guilty of first- or second-degree murder or assault with a firearm. He was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm and will be sentenced at a future date.
Trump last week called the verdict in the case “disgraceful.” On Sunday, he again ripped the verdict, saying it was a “total miscarriage of justice.”
Attorney General Jeff Sessions blasted so-called sanctuary cities late Thursday after the verdict.
“When jurisdictions choose to return criminal aliens to the streets rather than turning them over to federal immigration authorities, they put the public’s safety at risk,” Sessions said in a statement.
– This story was updated at 5:56 p.m.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.