Scarborough mocks 'Deflection Don' over transgender troop ban

Scarborough mocks 'Deflection Don' over transgender troop ban
© Getty Images

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough mocked President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump defends Stephanopolous interview Trump defends Stephanopolous interview Buttigieg on offers of foreign intel: 'Just call the FBI' MORE on Friday night after the White House announced that the administration would move to ban most transgender people from serving in the military.

The "Morning Joe" co-host sent a tweet accusing Trump of issuing the decision in an attempt to distract from the massive spending bill he reluctantly signed Friday and an upcoming "60 Minutes" interview with adult-film star Stormy Daniels.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Boy, this transgender ban is going to get conservatives to forget you signed the biggest spending bill ever and Sunday’s 60 Minutes interview. #DeflectionDon," Scarborough tweeted.

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, is set to appear on the CBS show this Sunday to discuss her alleged affair with the president in 2006.

Daniels is one of several women who have come forward claiming affairs with the president around 2006, a year after he married first lady Melania TrumpMelania TrumpWhite House mulling restoring daily press briefing with Sanders replacement: report White House mulling restoring daily press briefing with Sanders replacement: report Trump compares Melania to Jackie Kennedy: 'We have our own Jackie O' MORE, Daniels's lawyer said.

Daniels's lawyer previously said on Scarborough's show that his client was threatened with physical harm in connection with her alleged affair with Trump.

Scarborough, a former Republican congressman from Florida, has been a top critic of the Trump administration and frequently mocks the president on Twitter. 

The MSNBC host's tweet came shortly after the White House issued a memorandum Friday night stating that transgender people are "disqualified from military service except under limited circumstances."

The decision was based on recommendations from Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisTop nuclear official quietly left Pentagon in April Top nuclear official quietly left Pentagon in April Overnight Defense: Pompeo blames Iran for oil tanker attacks | House panel approves 3B defense bill | Trump shares designs for red, white and blue Air Force One MORE, who warned of risks to military readiness and lethality in a now-public memo to the president.