Media

Brokaw accuser refuses to participate in NBC investigation, asks for outside investigator

Getty Images

A former NBC News correspondent who accused veteran anchor Tom Brokaw of sexual misconduct is refusing to participate in an internal investigation into the matter, instead calling on the network to commission an independent probe.

Variety reported Thursday that Linda Vester has rejected NBC’s offer to conduct an internal investigation into her allegations that Brokaw inappropriately touched her and harassed her in the 1990s.

Ari Wilkenfeld, Vester’s attorney, told Variety that his client would be “more than willing” to participate in an outside investigation.

{mosads}

A spokesperson for NBC Universal told Variety they had reached out to Vester about her claims.

“So far she has not accepted our offer,” the spokesperson said.

In interviews with Variety and The Washington Post, Vester detailed inappropriate encounters with Brokaw, including one in which he invited himself over to her hotel room while in New York, where he then tried to kiss her.

She also alleged Brokaw inappropriately touched her during an encounter in full view of other NBC News employees.

Brokaw has vehemently denied the allegations, calling them a “drive by shooting” and an “assault.”

Vester’s request for an outside probe of her allegations come one day after NBC released the results of an internal investigation that found network executives were not aware that former “Today” anchor Matt Lauer had a history of sexual misconduct prior to his firing.

Multiple advocacy groups criticized the report, saying it was not credible unless it came from an independent investigator.

Tags #MeToo Matt Lauer NBC NBC News Sexual misconduct Tom Brokaw

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video