Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott reportedly warned network producers that they are responsible for addressing inappropriate on-air comments in the wake of recent controversial statements made on Fox programming.
Politico reported Wednesday that Scott met with producers of some of the channel’s top shows to tell them to get a handle on their hosts and guests. She reportedly told the employees that they are in charge of protecting the Fox News brand.
Scott, who took over as CEO earlier this year, delivered the message via video conference, Politico reported. Sources told the news outlet that the meeting was an unusual step.
A Fox News spokesperson said in a statement that Scott "regularly leads executive and editorial meetings and she expects accountability from her senior staff, which is what all good leaders do.”
Fox News programs have produced multiple controversial statements in recent weeks, particularly following the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy, which led to the separation of migrant families.
Laura Ingraham said on her show earlier this month that the detention facilities being used to hold migrant children are "essentially summer camps." She later noted that The San Diego Union Tribune had compared the camps to “boarding schools.”
Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsPress: For Trump endorsement: The more sordid, the better Those predicting Facebook's demise are blowing smoke If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold MORE appeared on Ingraham's show the same night and pushed back against those who compared the policy to Nazi Germany, saying Nazis were trying to keep Jews from leaving the country.
The network reportedly suspended former Trump campaign adviser David Bossie this week after he told a black guest on "Fox & Friends" that he was out of his “cotton-picking mind.”
Fox News also caught flak last week when former Trump campaign manager Corey LewandowskiCorey LewandowskiNew Trump super PAC formed after accusations of misconduct The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Alibaba - Democrats still at odds over Biden agenda Noem severs ties with Lewandowski after harassment allegations surface MORE dismissed a report about a 10-year-old girl with Down syndrome who was separated from her mother at the border.
"Womp womp,” he said on "The Story with Martha MacCallum," which was being guest hosted by Sandra Smith.
Updated at 9:59 a.m.