At least 100 newspapers sign up to publish editorials targeting Trump
The Boston Globe has enlisted more than 100 newspapers from across the country to publish editorials fighting back against President Trump’s repeated attacks on the media.
The Globe has been contacting editorial boards and asking them to publish an editorial on Thursday, CNN reported Saturday.
“We propose to publish an editorial on August 16 on the dangers of the administration’s assault on the press and ask others to commit to publishing their own editorials on the same date,” The Globe said in its pitch.
Marjorie Pritchard, the Globe’s deputy editorial page editor, told CNN that more than 100 publications have signed up to participate as of Saturday.
She told the network that she expects the number of newspapers participating will rise in the next few days.
“The response has been overwhelming,” Pritchard said. “We have some big newspapers, but the majority are from smaller markets, all enthusiastic about standing up to Trump’s assault on journalism.”
Major journalistic organizations, including the American Society of News Editors and the New England Newspaper and Press Association, have been helping to coordinate the effort, CNN reported.
Each newspaper will write their own editorial, rather than publish a unified message.
Pritchard told the newspaper teams to write about how Trump’s “assault” on journalism impacts their communities.
“Our words will differ. But at least we can agree that such attacks are alarming,” Pritchard wrote.
The Globe’s campaign began days after the president ramped up his attacks on the media, which he often calls “the enemy of the people.”
“The Fake News hates me saying that they are the Enemy of the People only because they know it’s TRUE,” Trump tweeted last week. “I am providing a great service by explaining this to the American People. They purposely cause great division & distrust. They can also cause War! They are very dangerous & sick!”