O'Reilly lashes out at 'left wing mob' over sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh

O'Reilly lashes out at 'left wing mob' over sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh
© Anna Moneymaker

Former Fox News anchor Bill O'Reilly condemned Democrats as a "left wing mob" on Wednesday for what he said was their refusal to give Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh "due process" as he faces sexual misconduct allegations. 

"Many Americans like me are furious that the man is being denied due process by the left," O'Reilly wrote in an op-ed on his website. "Morons like Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Ct.) loudly bellow that they believe the accuser. Based on what?"

O'Reilly, who has faced multiple sexual misconduct allegations, later added that, "according to the leftwing mob, all 'survivors,' 'victims,' or whatever other label is used, must be believed, no matter if the allegations are denied."

"And if you don’t immediately believe the accuser, then you are an abuser," he said. 

O'Reilly's op-ed comes amid heightened tensions surrounding Kavanaugh's nomination to the high court and multiple sexual assault allegations that have been brought against him. 

Kavanaugh, last week, testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee, along with Christine Blasey Ford regarding her claims that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her at a high school party in the 1980s. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Kavanaugh has fiercely denied the accusation and others levied against him by Deborah Ramirez and Julie Swetnick. Multiple GOP senators have said an FBI investigation into the nominee found no corroboration for Ford's or Ramirez's claims. 

Democrats, meanwhile, have criticized how the investigation was handled, arguing that it was too limited and left out key witnesses who supported Ford’s account.

The Senate on Friday voted 51-49 to advance Kavanaugh to an up-or-down confirmation vote on Saturday. 

O'Reilly left Fox News after The New York Times reported that he had paid $13 million to five women to settle allegations of sexual misconduct.

In October 2017, The Times also reported that O'Reilly paid $32 million to settle a sexual harassment claim against him. 

O'Reilly has railed against The Times for their reporting, saying last year that he believed the newspaper was out to get people "with whom they disagree."