Former White House correspondent says CNN is suing over Acosta press credentials

Longtime ABC News White House correspondent Sam Donaldson said Sunday that CNN and its chief White House correspondent, Jim Acosta, are suing the Trump administration over Acosta’s revoked press credentials.

Donaldson, speaking on CNN’s “Reliable Sources,” said that he has been asked to submit an affidavit in the lawsuit in preparation for a court hearing this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

The White House pulled Acosta’s hard pass after a tense exchange between him and President TrumpDonald John TrumpImpeachment? Not so fast without missing element of criminal intent Feds say marijuana ties could prevent immigrants from getting US citizenship Trump approval drops to 2019 low after Mueller report's release: poll MORE during a press conference last week.

The White House cited Acosta’s interaction with a press aide as reason to pull the credentials, accusing him of “placing his hands on" her. In return, CNN accused White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders of “fraudulent accusations."

A CNN spokesperson told The Hill that “no decisions have been made.”

“We have reached out to the White House and gotten no response,” the spokesperson said.

The possible lawsuit comes amid increasingly heated tensions between Trump and the press. In addition to the back-and-forth with Acosta, Trump has clashed with other reporters, and suggested he may pull other press credentials.

The White House faced additional criticism after Sanders shared a video of the interaction that appeared to have been sped up to make it look like Acosta struck the aide. The incident occurred after Trump called Acosta “rude, horrible” person.

Earlier Sunday, White House counselor Kellyanne ConwayKellyanne Elizabeth ConwayThe Hill's Morning Report — Mueller aftermath: What will House Dems do now? George Conway calls for Congress to remove Trump: He's 'a cancer' Hillicon Valley: Cyber, tech takeaways from Mueller report | Millions of Instagram passwords exposed internally by Facebook | DHS unrolling facial recognition tech in airports | Uber unveils new safety measures after student's killing MORE admitted the video was sped up, but insisted that increasing the speed was not altering the video.

“That's not altered," she said. “That's sped up. They do it all the time in sports to see if there's actually a first down or a touchdown."

— Updated 1:02 p.m.