Scarborough: It's the 'Seinfeld shutdown' about nothing

Scarborough: It's the 'Seinfeld shutdown' about nothing
© Getty Images

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough on Wednesday called the protracted partial government shutdown the "Seinfeld shutdown, a shutdown over nothing," while arguing that Republicans "don't even want the wall." 

"It’s a Seinfeld shutdown, a shutdown over nothing," said Scarborough on "Morning Joe." "Republicans and Democrats agreed by unanimous consent to keep open the government."

Scarborough was referring to a continuing resolution bill passed in December that would have funded the government through Feb. 8, which was ultimately rejected by President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump watching 'very closely' as Portland braces for dueling protests WaPo calls Trump admin 'another threat' to endangered species Are Democrats turning Trump-like? MORE

ADVERTISEMENT

The perspective from the former Republican comes as the shutdown — sparked by Trump's demand for border wall funding — entered its 26th day, the longest in U.S. history.

Speculation has since ensued in many media circles that conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh and provocative columnist and commentator Ann Coulter had pressured Trump into rejecting the bill and taking a hard line on getting $5 billion for border wall funding instead.

"This is Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter attacking the president of the United States and he was being so insecure he listened to those two people and panicked," argued Scarborough, who left the party in 2017 over Trump.

"Americans do not want this wall," the host concluded. "They said they wanted to tune it to the point of $1.6 billion. Republicans don’t even want the wall. This is Donald Trump and Donald Trump alone and not even for policy reasons. He was ready to give it up. This is just him being intimidated and frightened of some talk radio pundits."

Senate Minority Leader Charles SchumerCharles (Chuck) Ellis SchumerAppropriators warn White House against clawing back foreign aid Colorado candidates vying to take on Gardner warn Hickenlooper they won't back down Trump ahead of New Hampshire speech: Lewandowski would be 'fantastic' senator MORE (D-N.Y.) told reporters on Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken to the president since negotiations broke down between the Trump and congressional leaders last week.

No resolutions to the standoff appear to be in sight after a group of centrist House Democrats snubbed a White House invitation on Tuesday for talks with GOP leaders and Trump, calling it an attempt to divide the party.