Fox News host Sean Hannity on Friday defended President TrumpDonald TrumpFormer New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver dead at 77 Biden, Democrats losing ground with independent and suburban voters: poll Bipartisan Senate group discusses changes to election law MORE’s decision to reopen the government without securing money for his border wall, insisting that Trump is still “going to” get money for the wall.
Speaking on his radio show after Trump made the announcement at the White House, Hannity took a wait-and-see approach to news that Trump agreed to a three-week funding deal without money for a border wall.
“Some of you say ‘He didn’t get any money for the wall,' ” Hannity said on his radio show in a clip first reported by Mediaite. “No he didn’t, but he’s going to.”
Hannity noted that the deal Trump accepted Friday had been in the works for weeks, and that Democrats have been “begging to get an opportunity to fix the problem.”
Trump proposed a deal last week that included offering to extend protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients and some temporary protection status holders in exchange for $5.7 billion for a border wall, though the proposal was quickly rejected by Democrats.
“The left-wing media will say it’s a win,” Hannity said of Friday's deal to reopen for three weeks the quarter of the government that has been closed since Dec. 22.
But he noted that Trump could allow another shutdown when the deadline arrives next month, or if a deal does not emerge he could declare a national emergency to circumvent Congress to build a wall, as the president suggested Friday.
“I think the president also kind of has a heart,” Hannity said. “He knows that this is tough on a lot of the furloughed workers.”
Hannity has been one of Trump's fiercest defenders and allies throughout his time in the White House, even appearing on stage at a rally with Trump before the November midterm elections.