NYT executive editor condemns Trump campaign's move barring Bloomberg News from events

New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet on Monday criticized the Trump campaign's decision to deny press credentials to Bloomberg News reporters covering 2020 campaign events.

"Bloomberg News is one of the largest and most influential news organizations in the world. We condemn any action that keeps quality news media from reporting fairly and accurately on the presidency and the leadership of the country," Baquet said in a statement.

His remarks were in response to the Trump campaign's announcement earlier in the day of its new policy banning Bloomberg reporters access to official campaign events. The campaign said it would "determine whether to engage with individual reporters or answer inquiries from Bloomberg News on a case-by-case basis."

ADVERTISEMENT

Bloomberg News recently said it would not conduct in-depth investigations of Michael BloombergMichael Rubens BloombergBannon: Clinton waiting to enter 2020 race and 'save the Democratic Party from Michael Bloomberg' Bloomberg reporting policy not pretty or perfect, but right Booker campaign rakes in million after Harris exits 2020 race MORE or any other Democratic presidential candidate after the company's billionaire founder entered the 2020 race for the White House.

Trump campaign manager Brad ParscaleBradley (Brad) James ParscaleMORE criticized the news outlet's decision not to investigate Bloomberg and other Democrats, saying it "declared their bias openly."

Bloomberg Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait defended the newswire's decision.

“The accusation of bias couldn't be further from the truth,” Micklethwait said in a statement Monday. “We have covered Donald Trump fairly and in an unbiased way since he became a candidate in 2015 and will continue to do so despite the restrictions imposed by the Trump campaign.”