FEATURED:

Second Ebola case in Congo confirmed

Second Ebola case in Congo confirmed
© Getty Images

The World Health Organization said Sunday there is a second confirmed case of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo with over a dozen more suspected cases.

Health officials are attempting to find 125 people who they believe to be connected to the identified cases in the northeastern part of Congo, WHO's Congo spokesman Eugene Kabambi told Reuters.

So far, three individuals have reportedly died; there are two confirmed cases and 17 other suspected cases.

It is still unclear how the first victim who died from Ebola caught the virus.

ADVERTISEMENT

An outbreak in 2014 killed more than 11,300 people in the West African states of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. 

The virus, which has been known to be transferred through infected bush meat coming from animals like apes, first was detected in 1976 in a dense forest region that contained the River Ebola. 

On Friday, the GAVI global vaccine alliance said 300,000 emergency vaccine doses for Ebola are available in the event of another widespread outbreak, Reuters reports.