A former Justice Department official has withdrawn her name from consideration to replace former FBI Director James Comey, according to multiple reports.
Trump has been holding interviews to replace Comey since he dropped the bombshell news last week that he had fired the bureau chief.
The president pledged Saturday that he would move quickly to name a new FBI director, suggesting he would name a new bureau chief before leaving for his first foreign trip this Friday.
Trump's list of possible replacements for Comey includes several attorneys, lawmakers and law enforcement officials, however multiple candidates on the shortlist have already pulled their name from consideration.
Senate Majority Whip John CornynJohn CornynCornyn raises more than M for Senate GOP Is the Biden administration afraid of trade? The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - After high drama, Senate lifts debt limit MORE was on Trump's list, but said in a statement that the upper chamber is his top priority. Rep. Trey GowdyTrey GowdyTrey Gowdy sets goal of avoiding ideological echo chamber with Fox News show Fox News signs Trey Gowdy, Dan Bongino for new shows Pompeo rebukes Biden's new foreign policy MORE (R-S.C.) said Monday that he is “not the right person” to replace Comey, despite Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsTrump criticizes Justice for restoring McCabe's benefits McCabe wins back full FBI pension after being fired under Trump Overnight Hillicon Valley — Apple issues security update against spyware vulnerability MORE, the head of the Justice Department, speaking with him about running the agency.
Cornyn and Fisher interviewed to serve as the FBI’s permanent director last Saturday, a source told The Hill.
Acting FBI Director James McCabe and Judge Michael J. Garcia of the New York Court of Appeals also reportedly spoke with Sessions and his deputy, Rod Rosenstein.
Updated at 5:15 p.m.