Cuomo: New York suspect appears to be a ‘lone wolf’
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said Tuesday night that the suspect who carried out a truck attack in lower Manhattan earlier in the day appears to be a “lone wolf” attacker who is not connected to a wider network in the U.S.
In an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Cuomo said that investigators had found “no evidence” linking the suspect, 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov, to other possible attacks in the United States.
“All the evidence we have suggests that he was acting alone,” Cuomo said. “The so-called ‘Lone Wolf syndrome.’ You have to remember a couple of years ago they [ISIS] telegraphed this, that they were going to individual acts, they said ‘use a knife, use a car, use a truck, use whatever you can get.’ That’s what this was.”
Sources told CBS News that the suspect was heard yelling “Allahu Akbar” — Arabic for “God is great” — as he exited the vehicle. He was shot by police while displaying “imitation firearms,” according to news reports, and was taken to a nearby hospital.
Cuomo said that Saipov attacked the first heavy-pedestrian area he could find upon renting the truck and entering Manhattan. He stressed that police have found no evidence that Saipov had accomplices in the act.
“We have no evidence whatsoever that this was anything other than a person acting individually. We have no evidence that it’s connected to anyone or anything, or there are any follow-up measures,” he said.
Law enforcement officials told ABC News and other outlets that the attacker left a note pledging himself to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria’s cause at the scene. The truck was rented from a nearby Home Depot, where investigators are currently searching for clues.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.