Ethel Kennedy joins hunger strike against Trump immigration policies

Ethel Kennedy joins hunger strike against Trump immigration policies
© Getty Images

Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, has announced that she is joining a hunger strike in protest against President TrumpDonald John TrumpHR McMaster says president's policy to withdraw troops from Afghanistan is 'unwise' Cast of 'Parks and Rec' reunite for virtual town hall to address Wisconsin voters Biden says Trump should step down over coronavirus response MORE's "zero tolerance" immigration policy. 

The 90-year-old human rights advocate will participate in the "Break Bread Not Families" hunger strike. The protest was organized by several activist groups, including the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights nonprofit, and a number of prominent people are participating in the strike.

Nearly 40 other Kennedys have joined the strike as well. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The fast started on Sunday and is set to go on for 24 days — symbolizing the approximately 2,400 migrant children that have been separated from their parents. In place of the meals participants would have eaten, organizers ask that protesters instead donate money to help migrant families.

According to The Boston Globe, Kennedy denounced Trump's "zero tolerance" policy and said his executive order ending migrant family separation was not enough.  

“Generations of Americans did not toil and sacrifice to build a country where children and their parents are placed in cages to advance a cynical political agenda,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy is the latest prominent figure to join in the overwhelming bipartisan backlash over migrant family separations, which were a direct result of the "zero tolerance" policy. Democrats and Republicans alike have called family separations “cruel” and “inhumane.”

Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsTrump's policies on refugees are as simple as ABCs Ocasio-Cortez, Velázquez call for convention to decide Puerto Rico status White House officials voted by show of hands on 2018 family separations: report MORE announced the zero tolerance initiative in April, saying the Justice Department would criminally prosecute all adults who cross the border illegally. The prosecutions, he acknowledged at the time, would result in children being separated from parents who were taken into custody.

Trump last week signed an executive order ending the separation of families, but which kept the "zero tolerance" policy in place.