Hundreds of women to risk arrest in civil disobedience protests in D.C.

Hundreds of women plan to join an act of civil disobedience in Washington, D.C., on Thursday to protest the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policy.

The protest is organized by the Women's March, which did not specify what it was planning to do that would risk arrest for protesters. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The Women's March first announced the planned "mass civil disobedience" last week. It held training meetings for those planning to participate on Wednesday.

 

 

Organizer Linda Sarsour told The Hill last week that the group was holding the protest even after President TrumpDonald TrumpOvernight Defense & National Security — The Pentagon's deadly mistake Overnight Energy & Environment — Presented by Climate Power — Interior returns BLM HQ to Washington France pulls ambassadors to US, Australia in protest of submarine deal MORE decided to sign an executive order ending the separation of migrant families.

"The Women's March and our allies are advocating against child camps but we're not advocating for family camps," Sarsour said.

"We don't trust this administration to follow through. We're also demanding answers for the hundreds of children who have already been separated from their families with no clarification about what that reunification plan looks like. This administration has not told us how they plan to reunite children who have already been separated from their families," she added.

The policy, announced by Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsOvernight Hillicon Valley — Apple issues security update against spyware vulnerability Stanford professors ask DOJ to stop looking for Chinese spies at universities in US Overnight Energy & Environment — Democrats detail clean electricity program MORE in April, orders the criminal prosecution of anyone who enters the U.S. illegally. Migrant families were separated as a result of the policy, but after intense backlash from both sides of the aisle, Trump signed an executive order to keep migrant families together.  

Despite the executive order, many are still questioning how the administration plans to reunite the thousands of separated migrant children, many of whom have already been moved into foster care and detention facilities across the country. 

A federal judge this week also ordered that the administration immediately begin reuniting separated families.