A third lawsuit has been filed against Ohio State University, claiming the school ignored complaints of abuse by a wrestling team doctor, The Associated Press reported Friday.
The allegations by 10 former students mark a widening of the legal case surrounding alleged sexual misconduct by Richard Strauss decades ago. Strauss died in 2005.
“Beginning his very first year of employment at OSU — and spanning his entire two-decade tenure — Dr. Strauss preyed on male students, fondling, groping, sexually assaulting, and harassing them. He did so with OSU’s knowledge and support,” the lawsuit states, according to the AP.
The complaint, filed on Thursday, says that many students didn’t report the alleged abuse at the time because they were embarrassed or did not know that it constituted abuse.
The former students also allege that Ohio State had “a culture of institutional indifference” about students’ safety.
Ohio State has launched an independent investigation into the allegations against Strauss, including interviewing hundreds of people.
The lawsuit states that some of the former students had complained to coaches, trainers or other staff about Strauss. The document names at least nine former Ohio State employees who allegedly knew about Strauss’s actions and had the authority to address it.
Four of the named employees have died.
Former student health services director Ted Grace declined to comment to the wire service, and former athletic director Andy Geiger told the AP that he doesn’t recall any complaints about Strauss.
Former wrestling coach Russ Hellickson, also named in the lawsuit, has said he would have reported the abuse if he was aware of it taking place.
Several former Ohio State wrestlers have claimed that Rep. Jim JordanJames (Jim) Daniel JordanAllies see rising prospect of Trump 2024 White House bid Republican leaders misjudged Jan. 6 committee Watchdog group seeks ethics probe over McCarthy's Jan. 6 comments MORE (R-Ohio), who previously worked as the university's assistant wrestling coach, was aware of the alleged abuse but did not act on it.
Jordan, who announced on Thursday his bid to become the next Speaker of the House, has denied any knowledge of the alleged abuse. He was not named in Thursday's lawsuit.