Top US general in South Korea: ‘No one told me to stand down from readiness’

 Top US general in South Korea: ‘No one told me to stand down from readiness’

U.S. Army Gen. Vincent Brooks said Wednesday that he will maintain readiness as South Korea reduces its military presence along the Demilitarized Zone on its border with North Korea.

“I received no order to become unready,” Brooks said, according to USA Today. “No one told me to stand down from readiness.”

His comments come after the Pentagon canceled scheduled major military drills with South Korea following President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump opens new line of impeachment attack for Democrats Bloomberg to spend 0M on anti-Trump ads in battleground states New witness claims first-hand account of Trump's push for Ukraine probes MORE’s summit with North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un, earlier this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If we're not going to train the same way, then we'll train a different way — but we're going to remain ready,” Brooks said. “Perhaps we've been told for now to put our sword back into its sheath, but we have not been told to forget how to use it.”

Brooks added that his troops are finding “other ways” to maintain readiness, but did not provide specifics.

Brooks also said that the U.S. military presence in South Korea “successfully” set the stage for talks with North Korea this year and that he supports keeping up the pressure to stop North Korea from backtracking, according to the newspaper.

The talks between Trump and Kim ultimately resulted in a deal between the two leaders in which North Korea agreed to disarm its nuclear program and the U.S. agreed to unspecified “security guarantees.” 

Since then, North and South Korea have agreed to meet this September, but there has been little sign that Kim’s government is denuclearizing.

The United Nation’s nuclear watchdog said Monday that there has been no evidence that Pyongyang is truly giving up its nuclear program.