Arlington National Cemetery closed after bomb threat

Arlington National Cemetery closed after bomb threat
© Getty Images

Arlington National Cemetery announced that it would be closed to the public on Wednesday after a bomb threat earlier in the morning.

Officials said in a statement initially that all visitors and staff had been safely removed from the area and the emergency services were investigating.  

The cemetery then said in a tweet late Wednesday morning that it would be temporarily closed to the public, but funerals would be performed.

--This report was updated at 12:13 p.m.