Pipe bomb suspect to be held without bail

Pipe bomb suspect to be held without bail
© MSNBC

Pipe bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc Jr., the man accused of mailing explosive devices to prominent Democrats and former intelligence officials who have been critical of and criticized by President TrumpDonald John TrumpGraham to introduce resolution condemning House impeachment inquiry Support for impeachment inches up in poll Fox News's Bret Baier calls Trump's attacks on media 'a problem' MORE, on Tuesday was ordered to be held without bail by a federal judge.

Sayoc, who was transferred to New York to face federal charges after being held in custody in Florida, was called “a serious risk of danger to the public and a flight risk,” by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jane Kim, The Associated Press reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

None of the devices Sayoc mailed exploded and no injuries were reported, but the attempts sparked a national conversation about the nation’s political climate and politicians’ rhetoric about those with whom they disagreed.

Sayoc's lawyers did not seek his release on bail, according to the AP report.

Sayoc was arrested in South Florida, where he was living in a van covered in Trump campaign stickers and paraphernalia. He was linked to the devices through DNA and fingerprint matches and internet searches on some of the explosives’ targets. 

Targets included Bill and Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonThe Memo: Trump 'lynching' firestorm is sign of things to come Hillary Clinton has said she'd consider 2020 race if she thought she could win: report Nielsen on leaving Trump administration: 'Saying no and refusing to do it myself was not going to be enough' MORE, former President Obama, Sen. Cory BookerCory Anthony BookerProgressive commentator: Voters becoming weary of Warren policy proposals Saagar Enjeti: Warren, Buttigieg don't stand a chance against Trump The Hill's 12:30 Report: Trump faces backlash for comparing impeachment to 'lynching' MORE (D-N.J.), Sen. Kamala HarrisKamala Devi HarrisSaagar Enjeti: Warren, Buttigieg don't stand a chance against Trump Warren overtakes Sanders in new poll The Hill's 12:30 Report: Trump faces backlash for comparing impeachment to 'lynching' MORE (D-Calif.), Democratic donor George Soros, former Attorney General Eric HolderEric Himpton HolderSupreme Court throws out challenge to Michigan electoral map Amash: Trump incorrect in claiming Congress didn't subpoena Obama officials We can't allow presidents and public opinion to further diminish the work of the press MORE, former Director of National Intelligence James ClapperJames Robert ClapperBrennan's CIA a subject of Barr's review of Russia investigation: report Federal prosecutors interviewed multiple FBI officials for Russia probe review: report Trump denies knowledge of Barr meeting in Italy, says it would be appropriate MORE and others. 

All had been vocal critics of Trump’s rhetoric and policy agendas.

“As far as the president’s concerned, and again this is purely a fantasy because he’s already made it clear he’s not going to do this and I’m not suggesting a clear cause and effect relationship ... but I do think he bears some responsibility of the coarseness and uncivility in the dialogue in this country and he needs to remember that his words count, his voice is the most important in this country,” Clapper said on CNN after the explosive device sent to him was discovered.

Sayoc will appear in federal court on Monday for a preliminary hearing.