Sacramento police reviewing 12-year-old's arrest after video goes viral

Sacramento police reviewing 12-year-old's arrest after video goes viral

After a video of police arresting, handcuffing and putting a spit bag over a 12-year-old’s head went viral, officials are reviewing the incident, The Sacramento Bee reports.

In the video, which Black Lives Matter Sacramento posted on Facebook on Friday, multiple officers handcuff the black boy near a neighborhood carnival.

The officers later held him down in the parking lot and put a spit bag, a type of restraint device, over his face.

The video also shows a guard saying the unidentified boy trespassed and asked people in a nearby store to buy things for him.


As the officers walk him to the parking lot in handcuffs, people in the background say the boy’s parents should be there. The boy squirms and asks to be let go.

An officer asks if he spit on her, and the boy replied, “Yeah, I spit on you. How do you like that?"

The boy was reportedly cited for battery against a police officer and resisting police. He was released to his mother.

Sacramento attorney Mark HarrisMark HarrisGOP super PAC drops new TV ad in contested NC House race North Carolina elections chair resigns after joke relating cows to women NC operative charged with obstruction of justice, perjury over alleged ballot scheme MORE, who is representing the boy, said in a video he posted that “we will not tolerate our community — particularly, our young people — being treated in the way this young man was treated.”

“We want to make sure that the greater Sacramento community, the state of California and the world is aware of what happened to this young man, who was doing nothing more than trying to enjoy the benefits of a neighborhood carnival,” said Harris, who runs the local office of the Crump firm and says he anticipates filing lawsuits over the incident.

The incident took place on April 28, the Bee reports.

The city is still dealing with the fallout of the police shooting death of 22-year-old Stephon Clark, who was holding a cellphone officers say they mistook for a gun when he was killed in March of last year.