San Diego Comic-Con canceled due to coronavirus pandemic
San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) is canceled this year, for the first time in 50 years, due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The comic convention, which drew 135,000 people from multiple countries last year, was scheduled to be held July 23–26.
“Continuous monitoring of health advisories and recent statements by the Governor of California have made it clear that it would not be safe to move forward with plans for this year,” organizers said in a statement posted to the SDCC website.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said Tuesday that “mass gatherings” this summer were “unlikely” even as some states look to begin loosening strict orders that have kept many residents at home for the past month and a half.
“So large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers, all together across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations,” Newsom warned.
California remains under a stay-at-home order with no end date yet set.
“Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures and while we are saddened to take this action, we know it is the right decision,” said David Glanzer, spokesperson for SDCC. “We eagerly look forward to the time when we can all meet again and share in the community we all love and enjoy.”
Multiple other comic conventions have been canceled nationwide. The comic convention season typically starts in the spring and extends through the summer. San Diego’s convention is the largest in the country.