Attempted murder charges dropped against boyfriend of shooting victim Breonna Taylor

Attempted murder charges dropped against boyfriend of shooting victim Breonna Taylor
© NBC News

Attempted murder charges have been dropped against Kenneth Walker, the boyfriend of Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old black EMT who was fatally shot in their Louisville, Ky., home by police. 

According to a report by HuffPost, Jefferson County Commonwealth Attorney Tom Wine said Friday that a grand jury did not find sufficient evidence to indict Walker on the charges.

Walker, a legal gun owner, had fired at police officers who entered the couple's apartment using a no-knock warrant after midnight on March 13, believing their home was being broken into. Police opened fire in return, fatally shooting Taylor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Officials said the plainclothes officers were executing a search warrant in a drug case. 

A lawsuit claims that police officers were searching for a man who did not live in Taylor’s apartment complex when they executed the search and the suspect had been detained before the officers arrived at Taylor’s apartment.

The incident has sparked national outrage and the FBI has since opened an investigation into the case.

“FBI Louisville has opened an investigation into the shooting of Breonna Taylor. The FBI will collect all available facts and evidence and will ensure that the investigation is conducted in a fair, thorough and impartial manner,” Special Agent in Charge Robert Brown said in a statement shared on Twitter Thursday.

On Thursday, Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad also announced his retirement, the Louisville Courier Journal reported.